Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thaipusam

Thaipusam (Tamil: தைப்பூசம்) is a Hindu festival celebrated mostly by the Tamil community on the full moon in the Tamil month of Thai (Jan/Feb). It is also referred to as Thaipooyam or Thaippooyam in the Malayalam language. The word Thai-pusam is derived from the month name Thai and Pusam, which refers to a star that is at its highest point during the festival. The festival commemorates the occasion when Parvati gave Murugan a vel (spear) so he could vanquish the evil demon Soorapadman. There is a misconception among people that Thaipusam marks Murugan's birthday, however, it is believed that Vaikhasi Vishakam which falls in the Vaikhasi month(May/June) is Murugan's birthday
-via Wikipedia.org

Ever since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated with all the different cultures we have here in Malaysia and around the world. Coming from a really Muhibbah family where we have different races and religion is a huge blessing indeed for I have come to understand and love the beauty that every race and religion offers.

This year, I decided I had to join in the procession. So what I did was I woke up in the weeeeeeeeee hours of the morning and join in the parade! I have to admit, it was a gruelling walk (I've never walked that much in a long time!). However, i'm sure as all my colleagues in FedEx already know, I LOVE to walk barefooted. :p I had a lot of fun and it was trully an eye-opening experience as I saw people in trance, people carrying the Kavadi, the mortification of flesh and not to mention, the faith I see in these community! I was in awe.

Being the shutter-bug that I am, I couldn't resist getting a few shots as I was making my own journey of faith. Ü

No comments:

Post a Comment