Monday, August 10, 2009

My life, as a Bronchiectasis Patient.

Wheezy breathing, Short of breath, mucus, tightened lungs.
Sounds Familiar?
Yes, these are symptoms of mild asthmatic. Without great care, it may developed into chronic asthma. Yet, unknown to many, Asthma is one of the symptoms for bronchiectasis (brong-ke-EK-ta-sis), a fatal illness, yet underestimated by many.

Bronchiectasis is a condition in which damage to the airways causes them to
widen and become flabby and scarred. The airways are tubes that carry air in and
out of your lungs.your airways slowly lose their ability to clear out mucus.
When mucus can't be cleared, it builds up and creates an environment in which
bacteria can grow. This leads to repeated, serious lung infections.Each
infection causes more damage to your airways. Over time, the airways lose their
ability to move air in and out. This can prevent enough oxygen from reaching
your vital organs.Bronchiectasis can lead to serious health problems, such
as respiratory failure, atelectasis (at-eh-LEK-tah-sis), and
heart failure.

Initially, as a child, I've always had difficulties in breathing. I've always been told that they were due to my sinus problem as I was born with little weak lungs. Gradually, the persistent difficulties prompted my parents to take me for a more thorough check up. Lab tests shown that I do indeed have Chronic Asthmatic. But that was not it. Water was found in my lungs passage. This shows that I was prone and is easily affected with pneumonia. Great steps had to be taken, ie:

  • Lots of Vitamin C's
  • Multi Vitamins
  • Cod Liver Oils
  • No cold beverages - anytime
  • Ventolin Inhaler to be puffed every 4 hour
  • Steroid pills as a suppressant.
  • Lots and lots of excercises.


Initially, I got better. Being a rebel, I stopped all precautions as I thought I was fine. BIG mistake. No sooner did I stop my medications, I lapsed into a state of shock and my chest started hurting due to the countless attempts I made trying to get a full breathe of oxygen.

Second lab tests was run. I was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis. However, there's a catch. I was also found to be severely allergic to NSAIDs, Paracetamols, and most of all, Aspirins. Simply put, Painkillers. In all likelihood, should I have reaction towards any of these mentioned medicines, it will prompt an asthma attack which needs an immediate attention of Nebulizer and Ventolin shots.

From that moment on, in my life, everything changed. I started paying attention to my food intake. I started cutting down massively on cold beverages, although at times I do sneak in some ice creams ;) . I started excercising more vigorously, especially swimming. There was one thing I hated though - the medical treatments. I felt as though I was treated like a lab rat as multiple tests was being ran on me to see the extent of my allergies. For one, they hurt big time! and secondly, I was always paralised for a few hours waist down. I hate the feeling of being immobile, even for a couple of hours.

Up until today, The same process was being repetitively ran on me. I have no complains. I have since then, found a reason to carry on living. Like I always say, Hope, Believe and Have Faith that someday, all of these would be over. Until then, I shall keep breathing and keep Living my life like there's tomorrow.

In the words of Rudyard Kipling - Life's a Brief Candle. I'm going to make the best out of it, while I can.

I Remains,

Your Little SunShine.

2 comments:

  1. "To know someone here or there
    with whom you can feel
    there is understanding
    in spite of distances or
    thoughts expressed
    That can make life a garden."
    ~ Goethe

    I love this quote about friendship.
    And just as it says,i hope that you know how much i love you and that i don't even need to say anything cause you we unerstand each other even without words spoken,despite the distance.

    *hugs tight*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearie, I've never once see us both and KArlie as mere friends. we're soul sisters.
    Despite the distance and problems, and the fact that we've never seen each other but have bonded regardless shows the true strength of what we have between us.

    I love you soooooooo much! And i hope you know that. otherwise, i may have to spank you ;)

    <3

    ReplyDelete