Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"Mozart of Madras"


A Living Juke-Box. That's what everybody know me as. It's Simple. I'm a Music Lover and my love includes also a variety of different cultures and languages. Although I ccame from an English Speaking family, at the same time, it is a Muhibbah Family. We have Muslims, Chinese, Indians, Filipino, Mamak, and of course Dutch culture within the family. Yet, we remain close-knitted and there exists a strong bond based on mutual respect and acceptance. Race & Religion, was never an issue within my family. For that, I am terribly glad.

Needless to say, my upbringing is what influenced my variety of tastes in music. They vary from English to Latin to Filipino to Malay to Mandarin to Hindi or Tamil. My current addiction though, hails from a music genius named Allah Rakha Rahman, or more popularly known as A.R.Rahman.

This is an extract of his biography from Wikipedia.org:-


Allah Rakha Rahman (Tamil: ஏ.ஆர்.ரகுமான்; born January 6, 1966 as A. S. Dileep Kumar (திலீப் குமார்) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India) is an Indian film composer, record producer, musician and singer. His film scoring career began in the early 1990s. He has won thirteen Filmfare Awards, four National Film Awards, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe and two Academy Awards.[1]


Working in
India's various film industries, international cinema and theatre, by 2003, Rahman, in a career spanning over a decade, has sold more than 100 million records of his film scores and soundtracks worldwide,[2] and sold over 200 million cassettes,[3] making him one of the world's all-time top selling recording artists.


Time magazine has referred to him as the "Mozart of Madras" and several Tamil commentators have coined him the nickname Isai Puyal (Tamil: இசைப் புயல்; English: Music Storm).[4] In 2009, the magazine placed Rahman in the Time 100 list of 'World's Most Influential People'.[5]

I first learnt of this Musical genius from the Oscar winning film of Slumdog Millionaire. Well, Who would not love the ever popular song entitled "Jai Ho" which is then later popularised even more by the sexy girl group- Pussycat Dolls? I was totally hooked! Even more so, when someone extremely close to me is a huge huge A.R Rahman fan! He influenced me even more when he revealed that A.R Rahman actually do compose and sung several English songs as well. Boy, I've been trying to get my hands on A.R Rahman's songs ever since then. I have to admit, I was about to support Piracy by trying to download them off the net. To my dismay, I no longer can do that. So here I am, with the aid of MixPod and YouTube, I'm feeding my A.R Rahman addiction online! Ü


Just so my blog readers can have a taste of a little bit from A.R Rahman, I've included three of my favourite song from him on my blog playlist! Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I loveeeee your new playlist babysis! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. =D We ALWAYS share songs. Carine shared with me some from YOUR playlist too. LOVE it!! :D
    Mwahhhhhhh~
    <3

    ReplyDelete