Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Love Simply Is.

I am, a hopeless Romantic. Regardless of the amount of time I chided anyone for giving bouquet of flowers, it secretly made me feel elated (but i do indeed dislike roses! I love daisies Ü ). I love a romantic picnic with the food basket, a bottle of wine, good slow music and just sitting on a hilltop - solidarity time with the special someone. That, my dear readers, is life; for to me, there is no life without Love. When you Love, you Live.



Needless to say, I absolutely adore Sappy romantic romance movies. I'm not saying thats about the only thing I watch. I do opt for some kick-ass action movies as well, but on certain occasions, all I want to do, is just curl up on the sofa, with my comforter in tow, a glass of wine in hand, a bowl of popcorn in front, a box of tissue which will come in handy, and have a Romance movie marathon.

I'm neither a professional critic nor am I really good at movies, but here are my Top 5 pick of Romance movie of all time. I bear no responsibility if eventually it doesn't suit your taste buds. Afterall, you are indeed entitled to your own choices, as i do with mine. Ü Sit back and enjoy this journey with me.

Top 5 All-Time Favourite Romance Movies:-

  • The Lake House

I first watched this movie after a very dear old friend of time - TJ talked about it to me during one of our many yahoo messenger chats about 3 years back. I've always been a huge fan of Sandra Bullock after her stint in Practical Magic and of Keanu Reeves after watching Sweet November. So when you put two equally talented actors together - the outcome is mindblowing. I love the chemistry between the two of them in this movie. They portray perfectly the message this movie needs to convey - Love transcends Time & Separation.
It's about the both of them, staying at the exact same house, by the lake, at the same time, not knowing the existence of one another - because they live 2 years apart. Their mode of communication is through the lake house's letter box which, magically transport their letter back and forward in time to each other. They fell in love through letters to each other and have been trying to meet despite living two years apart. I know, I know. Seemingly untrue, but hey, whatever cream is your twinkie, and I happen to twink this cream! ^.^
  • P/S I Love You

Ah haaaa...This is where all my Gerard Butler Fetish started! *Swooning mode on* Initially, It was a book written by the re-known Cecilia Ahern. It is a very deep book and I believe it has touches the heart and soul of her many readers (especially the ladies). The story is about Gerry, a man who died of brain tumour. Before he died, he has written letters, meant for his wife which will be delivered to her in ways she never expected after his death, with the purpose of helping her move on. He knew, that it would be difficult for her, and to him, he cannot leave her - just yet. He just wants to remain around his wife, a little while longer. With every letter he wrote, he ends it with s P/S. I Love You which explains the title of the book as well as the movie. This is a definite TearJerker. I can't remember how many times I have watched this and still shed tears.

Hilary Swank portrays the part of the widow to perfection, while Gerard Butler, you asked? He's super sexy in this one. Watch it, to find out! ;)

  • Serendipity

According to Dictionary.com, Serendipity means The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident. In simple lay-man's term; it means Fortunate accidents. How coincidental it is for a man and a woman to actually pick the same pair of winter gloves in a huge departmental store? Even more so, what are the odds of them each taking a side of the same pair and met again many years later? Nil. This is what Serendipity is about. Both of them decided to let fate rule their lives. It does not take place at the time they met, but only many years later when both of them are engaged to other people, and knowing that there is a possibility that both of them may meet one day, intrigues them and both then set out on a journey to find each other, a few days before their wedding to their respective spouses. Interesting, yes no? Tune in to find out.


  • City of Angels

This is a very difficult choice. I have to choose between two of my ultimate favourites! I actually started loving this movie after listening to its sound track, Iris made popular by Goo Goo Dolls. Ever since I was a child, I've loved movies acted by Nicholas Cage, especially Face/Off. He plays a villain to perfection. In this movie though, you get to see the vulnerable and sensitive side to him. He plays an Angel, who starts getting mesmerized by a doctor (Meg Ryan) after witnessing her shedding tears after losing one of her patient on the operating table. An Angel do not have the capacity to feel, and the moment he saw her crying, he long to feel a tinge of sadness, happiness, pain and most of all, Love.


This movie portrays him, abandoning his status as an Angel to Love. He abandoned his immortality to be a mere mortal where one day, like anyone of us, he can die. Just as he has started to feel, and is in a relationship with Meg Ryan, she met with an accident and passed away not long after. Tragic yet wonderful message incorporated. Watch it, with a whole box of tissue. You'll need it.

  • Ghost

I was saddened with the recent passing of Patrick Swayze, after battling cancer for nearly 2 years. That has nothing to do with the fact that this movie, starring him and Demi Moore is my ultimate Number 1 Pick. The caption on the front cover of the movie says this:

"Before Sam was murdered, he told Molly he's love and protect her forever."

Indeed. That's what happened in this movie. Its a bout Sam (Patrick Swayze) who was murdered, and came back as a ghost to keep his wife (Demi Moore) safe, and he enlisted the help of a woman portrayed by the ever talented Whoopi Goldberg. A true tale of Love. I mean, how can you not like and fall for the whole electrifying combination of Patrick and Demi? With Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers as soundtrack and with a scene like this? Yes! The whole Pottery scene actually hails from this very movie! Needless to say, this movie got me bawling with tears. If it never did to you, I don't know what to say! By Far, this is to me, is the late Patrick Swayze's best work yet!



So there you go. I shall not say much, but only end this blog post with an extract written by the ever so popular Paulo Coelho in "The Witch of Portobello"

"No passion is in vain. No Love is ever wasted. Love is not a habit, a commitment, or a debt. It isn't what romantic songs tell us it is. Love simply is.

No definitions.

Love, and don't ask so many questions. Just Love."


Ü

5 comments:

  1. I see so many similarities in our movie taste for romantic movies ♥

    City of Angels is one of my fav too :)♥ it a lot!I wish it happened to me too,and i don't care that it's only a fiction,hehe.
    And i also like P/S I love you and Serendipity,which i saw yesterday because u recommended it to me :)

    Now i wanna see The Lake House too,so gonna try to find it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehe.. The Lake House is awesome. I love it.... I watched Serendipity again last night. :D

    I like another movie called "Message In a Bottle" as well.. Its kinda old.. but its really nice! :D

    ahhh... we're hopeless romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... Ghost..I sure will get the DVD. The way you described it, it sure sounds like it's worth the watch.. I watched P.s I Love you just only last week, and yerp! Gerard Butler swooned me off my feet in an instant.heheehee....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I highly recommend this movie Dee! Prepare plenty of tissue papers. You'll need it!
    Ü

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi thanks for visiting my old blog. I'm not using it anymore. here's the new one http://mi-amore-forlife.blogspot.com/ =)

    thanks for all the comments =D

    ReplyDelete